Category Archives: Meggo-preggo
I really didn’t mean to take a TWO MONTH hiatus from blogging…it’s just kind of happened…without me even realizing it.
Let me explain.
You know that friend you have…the one you really like but you just haven’t called in a really long time? And the more time that passes the more awkward it will be when you finally get off your lazy ace and call them? So you don’t. And then it becomes even more horrible in your mind and and you really start to miss them but can’t figure out how to re-connect without it being achingly awful and embarrassing?
For you literary geniuses, no need to explain that this metaphor (I think. Clearly not a genius here.) is about me and my blog and our fading relationship. Again, it wasn’t intentional…just awkward. So let’s hug it out and move on, shall we?
But before we do, it wouldn’t be an apology without some lame excuses to go along with it!
Totally appropriate excuse numero uno: This is a running blog. And sweet potato fries, it’s hard to write about running when you are barely trucking along with zero training or race goals in mind. Not a lot of blog fodder in the same 7k route when subjects like achy pelvic bones, peeing in the woods and bouncy fetuses are frowned upon. That said, I am happy that I managed to run until 30 weeks (about 7.5 months) preggo. And truthfully, the actual running didn’t feel too bad and I probably could have kept going a little longer, but feeling like you have to pee for 45 minutes and then waddling around the office all day because your crotch is sore was just getting a little annoying.
So no more running for this gal for a few months at least. I’m still cycling and doing Body Pump a few times a week and have switched to “power walks” with Piper instead of running. (Tip: power walks are really just walks but with a pully dog)
Totally appropriate excuse #2: I broke my camera. And we all know people just want to look at adorable pictures of dogs (see exhibit A above), food and self-portraits on blogs. It’s ok to admit it. So if anyone knows how to get river water out of a camera – AFTER trying the rice trick – lemme know. Or, even better, if anyone would like to buy a clumsy cheapskate a water-free / water-proof camera, lemme know.
Totally appropriate excuse #3: I’m lazy and it’s summer so get off my back. Pretty self-explanatory that one.
But seriously, I do have some updates for you, such as “2012 goals: yeah, how’s that going?” and “Recipe round-up…the good, the bad and the tragically ugly”. But until then, one more gratuitous shot of my lovely little family.
What’s been going on lately…
- Bump – The bump has arrived! Funny how one day you just wake up and all of a sudden your belly can no longer be attributed to pretzels and soup bloating. Mini-Muffin is starting to stretch out and take up some space. Speaking of, at 22 weeks the little fetal beetle is about 11 inches (the length of a spaghetti squash) and almost a whopping 1 pound. So maybe this belly is a biiiit pretzels afterall….and frozen yogurt.
- Mood – I feel great. Seriously. I’m not sure if the hormonal crying comes later or what, but so far I’ve only been crying at the really important, cry-worthy things. Yes, a voicemail from Dudes is important and a guy with a stutter on “America’s Got Talent” is totally cry-worthy.
- Exercise – I’m managing to run a couple times a week, do Body Pump and will still be teaching cycling for a couple more weeks. My hope is to run for as long as I can however this past week was the first time I had a bit of discomfort afterwards. I won’t go into details, but let’s just say that things are getting a little heavier up in here.
- Food – yes, please!
- On the to-do list – research maternity support belts to find out if they are worth the moula and will actually provide some extra support during sweat sessions. So anyone…tips?
- What I’m loving – Maternity pants. Seriously. It’s like a whole new world of comfort. It’s so nice not to have to rock, paper, scissors with myself over what pair of jeans I should try and jam myself into each day. I may never go back. (Muffin, I’m sorry that I’m not sorry)
- What I’m annoyed with – Not being able to sleep on my back. I’m a back sleeper and every.single.freaking.night I wake up in a panic because I’m on my back again. (TWSS)
Oh and one last thing…did I mention that this sweet little thing is made of sugar and spice and all things nice?
Tutus and ruffled leg warmers here we come! Because we’ll have to match, right?
I was a bit shocked when I wandered over here to FunnerRunner and discovered that it’s been almost a MONTH since my last post. I knew I had been slacking a bit, but c’mon…that’s just a little ridiculous.
So my apologies.
BUT! the good news is that you haven’t missed much. I ran a couple of marathons, learned to knit AND drive standard, and dug a pool in our backyard, but that’s about it. No biggie smalls.
But outside of all of that awesomeness, I have been up to some (actual) stuff. So without further ado, let’s just see…
- I made freaking trifle. You’d think that I had cured cancer the way I have been up-talking this feat, but no, just assembled some ingredients to pull off a dish only marginally better than Rachel’s. You see, the impetus behind making this dessert for my April recipe of the month was that I thought that I had received a trifle dish for Christmas last year. Turns out that it was a punch bowl. Don’t ask. Being the Masterchef that I am, I went with it. Guess what? It takes a hella lot more fruit and cake to layer a punch bowl than a trifle dish. By the last layer, I had used every piece of fruit in the house (frozen, fresh, green peas dipped in sugar…) to scrape together something that looked remotely triflin’. Thank mercy Cool Whip makes everything taste ok, so although it looked like a giant bowl of randomness, it tasted just dandy. Masterchef tip #1 – just add Cool Whip. (And say it like Stewie) Here’s the recipe that I had intended on following (before dipping into weird fruit territory).
- I started CrossFit. Well, kinda. I started the beginner “on-ramp” program because the lovelies at CrossFit Kawartha offered it to me at no cost as part of The Exercise Diaries. I’m just trekking my way through it right now, but first impressions are that I would totally, totally do this all the time (if I wasn’t getting more mego-p by the day). The two instructors/owners are awesome and the actual CrossFitters are bad ass. You can read my intro post about it here…more to come once I wrap up the on-ramp program next week. If you’ve never heard of CrossFit, head on over to YouTube to check out the bad-assery of it.
- I committed to biking to work for the month of May as part of our local Shifting Gears competition. I even got a new-to-me bike on Kijiji so that I don’t have to ride my super speedy/death-trap pedals road bike. And I soon realized that biking to work sucks. I rode my bike the first two days and that’s it so far. Yikes. So my goal is to ride at least three times next week, but like I said, it sucks. Not so much the biking (however it turns out that my sweet Kijiji bargain weighs about 80 times more than my speedster so that’s not helping) but I hate packing my outfit, trying to leave early so that I’m not late(r), getting changed in the bathroom stall, having sweaty helmet bangs all day, not having access to my car after work for errands, and so on. I could never live in Europe…Tour de Work = annoying. But apparently biking is good for me and an “easy” way to keep the ol’ legs moving. We’ll see.
- We had an ultrasound! Our mini-muffin seems to be truckin’ along quite nicely and was wriggling away during the exam. Hooray! Almost halfway already – I can’t believe how quickly these first few months have gone by. That said, I’m pretty sure the gals who hugged the toilet for the first 12 weeks could shank me for saying that, but so far I’m digging this pregnancy job. (Ask me that after this long weekend when I’m ready to shank all of my tipsy friends in a sobriety induced rage.)
- And lastly, I said goodbye. Our dearest Dudes and T-Money have made their way westward and I’ve lost my mid-week workout, shopping, WINE and bitch partner, not too mention THE weekend go-to gal. The good news is that those brother-husbands we scooped have bound us for life!! Muwahaha! It might not be a Wednesday WINE session, but I’ll see you very soon and very often, dearest Dudes. Love and misses to you both already!
And one more because I’m hormonal and weepy and feeling all nostalgic.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your big, fat, warm wishes this week!
And as much as Muffin and I enjoyed reading all of your comments and congratulation notes, it certainly was a quick reminder that shit just got real up in here. Or at least it will come October. So, yeah, thanks… 😉
Kidding aside, obviously we’re super excited and can’t wait to share every gory little detail with you and the rest of the world via the internet! (Feel free to unsubscribe now. I would.)
No…wait. That’s not likely to happen at all. (RE-SUBSCRIBE! RE-SUBSCRIBE!!!) I have a hard enough time sharing juuuust enough personal information here to still be able to show my face around the office, so I’m not about to start talking about gas and nipples and other frightening pregnancy related things that my know-it-all “friends” have shared with me already.
That’s just not my bag, baby. (<– not a “baby” reference, just me being my cool self.)
Nope. This is a running blog…that may or may not mention running for weeks at a time..and that’s the way I intend to keep it, DANG NABBIT!! I’m hoping to run for as long as it feels good* and fill you in with relevant, won’t scare my dude friends away from me forever, hilarious! updates as they ensue. (*as good as running ever feels…in the summer…after you grow cankles and add a thousand pounds to a 5’2″ frame).
So don’t be scared away by the new header and category tag…it’s true I am a meggo-preggo, but I’m going to try to be a FunnerRunner for as long as I can hang in there. Wish me luck and stay tuned!
PS – Coming up this week…an update on the Smiths Falls Spring Fling Running Thing race, new running buddies and I tackle trifle (figuratively)!
Lemme tell ya…I jelly bean’d it up this weekend!
First, there was my 10k Jelly Bean virtual race on Friday. I would love to give you a riveting race recap, but essentially I ran the same 10k route that I have been running for years. Surprises that don’t involve me opening presents don’t really interest me, so I usually stick to what I know won’t kill my legs or get me lost in the ghettos of the P-dot. Same wonderful slight decline at the start, same creepy cemetery to make me hustle up, same main street riffraff to elbow through. I was feeling pretty good, despite having Body Pumped and ran with the lovely Hooles the day before. And sadly in this case, feeling good = not an awesome finishing time for me. I clocked a sluggish 57:45…but in reality was just trying to justify extra jelly bean consumption over the next three days. So, the Jelly Bean 10k – a success!
Moving onwards and upwards (actually eastwards) to the family homestead for the long weekend / excessive food binge coma…
As MY LOYAL READERS would know, I don’t run well at Mimded and Eduardo’s house. It’s scary, it’s smelly and, let’s face it, I’m lazy. So in an effort to ensure that I got my not-so mini egg’d rear out on the pavement, I made plans with Harv, my high school bestie, to take on the Jelly Bean 5k together! (The Jelly Bean race has four events to choose from: a 5k, 10k, 21k run and 21k bike. You can do as many or as few as you like.) After she untangled herself from the small village of babies that occupy her living room (aka her offspring) we were off. At this point I was happy to be running, but so, so, so happy to be running with Harvalicious. It was so good to catch up, even if we were wheezing throughout the whole gossip session. Between my Thursday reunion with Hooles and my race with Harv – I was in running buddy heaven! Two running dates with best girlies in one week?! Yes, please! It makes me wonder why I tackled 2011km all on my lonesome? (I’m an idiot is basically all I could come up with too) So the Jelly Bean 5k – a success!
Obviously the rest of my weekend was spent lounging, snorting candy and inhaling turkey and turkey related fixings (read: gravy). Plus some family fun a la Easter traditions, including egg decorating!
And one last little festive tidbit….have I mentioned that this Easter chick has one extra little jelly bean in her belly?
Yep, this FunnerRunner is meggo-preggo.