I was a bit shocked when I wandered over here to FunnerRunner and discovered that it’s been almost a MONTH since my last post. I knew I had been slacking a bit, but c’mon…that’s just a little ridiculous.
So my apologies.
BUT! the good news is that you haven’t missed much. I ran a couple of marathons, learned to knit AND drive standard, and dug a pool in our backyard, but that’s about it. No biggie smalls.
But outside of all of that awesomeness, I have been up to some (actual) stuff. So without further ado, let’s just see…
- I made freaking trifle. You’d think that I had cured cancer the way I have been up-talking this feat, but no, just assembled some ingredients to pull off a dish only marginally better than Rachel’s. You see, the impetus behind making this dessert for my April recipe of the month was that I thought that I had received a trifle dish for Christmas last year. Turns out that it was a punch bowl. Don’t ask. Being the Masterchef that I am, I went with it. Guess what? It takes a hella lot more fruit and cake to layer a punch bowl than a trifle dish. By the last layer, I had used every piece of fruit in the house (frozen, fresh, green peas dipped in sugar…) to scrape together something that looked remotely triflin’. Thank mercy Cool Whip makes everything taste ok, so although it looked like a giant bowl of randomness, it tasted just dandy. Masterchef tip #1 – just add Cool Whip. (And say it like Stewie) Here’s the recipe that I had intended on following (before dipping into weird fruit territory).
- I started CrossFit. Well, kinda. I started the beginner “on-ramp” program because the lovelies at CrossFit Kawartha offered it to me at no cost as part of The Exercise Diaries. I’m just trekking my way through it right now, but first impressions are that I would totally, totally do this all the time (if I wasn’t getting more mego-p by the day). The two instructors/owners are awesome and the actual CrossFitters are bad ass. You can read my intro post about it here…more to come once I wrap up the on-ramp program next week. If you’ve never heard of CrossFit, head on over to YouTube to check out the bad-assery of it.
- I committed to biking to work for the month of May as part of our local Shifting Gears competition. I even got a new-to-me bike on Kijiji so that I don’t have to ride my super speedy/death-trap pedals road bike. And I soon realized that biking to work sucks. I rode my bike the first two days and that’s it so far. Yikes. So my goal is to ride at least three times next week, but like I said, it sucks. Not so much the biking (however it turns out that my sweet Kijiji bargain weighs about 80 times more than my speedster so that’s not helping) but I hate packing my outfit, trying to leave early so that I’m not late(r), getting changed in the bathroom stall, having sweaty helmet bangs all day, not having access to my car after work for errands, and so on. I could never live in Europe…Tour de Work = annoying. But apparently biking is good for me and an “easy” way to keep the ol’ legs moving. We’ll see.
- We had an ultrasound! Our mini-muffin seems to be truckin’ along quite nicely and was wriggling away during the exam. Hooray! Almost halfway already – I can’t believe how quickly these first few months have gone by. That said, I’m pretty sure the gals who hugged the toilet for the first 12 weeks could shank me for saying that, but so far I’m digging this pregnancy job. (Ask me that after this long weekend when I’m ready to shank all of my tipsy friends in a sobriety induced rage.)
- And lastly, I said goodbye. Our dearest Dudes and T-Money have made their way westward and I’ve lost my mid-week workout, shopping, WINE and bitch partner, not too mention THE weekend go-to gal. The good news is that those brother-husbands we scooped have bound us for life!! Muwahaha! It might not be a Wednesday WINE session, but I’ll see you very soon and very often, dearest Dudes. Love and misses to you both already!
And one more because I’m hormonal and weepy and feeling all nostalgic.